Follow Your Gut. It May Be Trying To Wake You Up!

I know I tend to write, or rant, about things that many may consider being conspiratory in nature or even perhaps slightly paranoid or just overly cautious. But the truth of the matter is that over the years I have learned to listen to my gut and act upon it when it seems to be the right thing to do. I just like to equate it to being aware of my surroundings and observant of the things that are going on within those surroundings.

I’d like to take credit for these “feelings” based upon a long career in law enforcement, but I can’t take credit for that. I’d like to think that my natural tendency toward being keen of my awareness the desire to know more, led me in that direction and those experiences “heighten” my understanding of the importance of following my gut has proven to be beneficial in life.

A while ago, I was cleaning my bike under the carport when I heard knocking at my front door. My wife was gone with the car, so I came around the corner to see who was at our front door. As I rounded the corner I quickly asked “can I help you?”, and about startled this guy off my front step! It was a young white male apparently doing follow up calls for satellite TV customers. This occurred after 5pm, when the front office had closed and there is a strict “no soliciting” policy posted in the park. I told him “you know there is no soliciting in the park, right?” and he confirmed he knew this, but it was the only time he could do follow ups. I engaged him in some conversation and sent him on his way. End of story right? Not exactly. Here is what I observed:

1.Approximately 20 yoa white male dressed in jeans and hoodie. Not particularly cool that day.
2.Carrying a binder for “customer follow-up”
3.Approached my house where there appeared to be nobody home and he was completely startled by my presence.
4.I have no satellite dish on my house.
5.Walked away talking to himself (maybe I’ve done that too?)
6.I watched him continue through the park making random stops along the way.

So you might just say what’s the big deal? It’s just some kid trying to make a living by going door to door. Perhaps I was just being paranoid and should have just let it go because there was no apparent harm done and he didn’t have any effect on me. Perhaps, but lets look at a bigger picture.

There have been several burglaries of golf carts and bicycles in our park and in neighboring parks. There are rules in place regarding solicitation without office approval. His dress and demeanor were not conducive to “customer follow-up” work (in my opinion). And he approached my house where there was an appearance that nobody was home. And things said in our conversation didn’t add up nor made much sense. I did report him. (nobody else reported him, which is bothersome) The police did respond, along with park management and they asked him to not return to the park.

So what would you have done?  Could his actions been totally innocent in nature? Sure they could be; but were they? Is it better to be safe or safer to be quiet and not involved? Was he selling or casing the park for a later visit? He wasn’t arrested or ticketed, but his name and information was obtained and recorded. Sometimes we never know what we prevent by being aware and taking appropriate action versus not observing at all.

I’ll share another short, but to the point story. Several years ago, just post 9/11, I observed three situations that just felt wrong in my gut. With the encouragement of a trusted and qualified confidant, I reported my info to the FBI. A few months later, I was advised two leads were credible and the third was under further assessment. I have no idea of the final outcomes on these situations, but I am glad I did what I did because if I had ignored my gut, who knows what could have transpired by remaining silent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Politically Above the Law

The Science of Bias

The Fruit Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree...Or Does It?